Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Only Ball to Play


Let's face it, there is only one golf ball for above average golfers, the Pro V1 by Titleist. This varietal is indeed special. You will not find a ball that can match its performance off the tee nor its feel on the green. This ball takes me back to the days of the sweet, sweet balata. That's Billy Balata to you.

In my book, there will never be a match for Billy in the short game. It was like putting a pad of butter and the results were just as tastey. The only drawback to Billy was his off the tee performance. If you had a swing flaw, he'd plug in the neon idiot sign and point its flashing pink arrow right at your cranium. Billy's soft composition also prohibited him from flying as far as the other balls of his time. Nonetheless, I have some truly remarkable memories with Billy and they will forever be etched in the "Things that are pure" category of my mind.

Back to the present. I like the Pro V1x, as I'm not all that crazy about spin. I like the ball to hit and bite not turn into a ditch witch and trench itself back to me. I'm not knocking the Pro V1, it's a great ball. I've just grown accustomed to the feel of the Pro V1x.

As far as other balls are concerned, if you are serious about your game and scoring, don't waste your time. Although, I have been known to play the Taylor Made TP Red. They're only $20 a dozen and are decent off the tee and have pretty good feel on the greens. Twenty bucks for a decent ball, you can't argue with that.

Callaway, Nike, Bridgestone, they're all pretty good golf balls, but they just don't match up to the Titleist brand and quality. So if you're having a difficult time deciding which ball to play, play the Pro V1 and save yourself some time and money.

2 comments:

Zach said...

I'm pretty sure that most golfers know that the Pro V is the best ball made. I prefer the Pro V1 to the Pro V1x. I'm a big fan of spin and that ball offers me that option.

The novice golfer shouldn't waste his/her money on a ball they can't take advantage of. Instead they should invest in the Titleist NXT or the Callaway HX Hot.

I actually had my best round ever with the Callaway HX Hot. That ball has surprisingly good feel for a distance ball. The NXT is fairly comparable to the HX Hot.

Yeah, compared to the Pro V1, all other balls are second rate.

I grew up when the balata was being phased out. The only balata ball I ever played was the Top Flite Z-Balata. That was a great golf ball. It had exceptional feel and it spin quite a bit.

Even though balatas may have been fun to play, we're all better off without them. Those suckers would grin at you the second you put a poor swing on it. People would be going through more balls and losing a lot of money in the process.

I guess the other side of that argument is that you learn how to strike the ball without cutting it to the core. In essence you might become a better ball striker in time.

It's all a matter of preference. Well, unless you're a pro and then it's a matter of who pays the most.

Tom Messick said...

One thing I've noticed is that the "low compression" craze seems to be over. The Maxfli Noodle used to litter golf courses second only to Top Flight whatevers and Pinnacles.

I'd liken the feel of a noodle to striking a hush puppie from Mrs Paul's kitchen.

At any rate, I'm glad all of the inane conversations about compression versus club speed are over...